Thursday, January 15, 2009

just my two cents...

While we were in Houston for xmas break we had made a stop at a Walgreens with K's parents. K's parents needed a couple of things so we all went in and went our separate ways to browse around the store.

An observation I had made was this Walgreens in Houston had a lot more discounted stuff than our's in Nac. I couldn't believe how cheap they were selling all of their xmas wares to get it off the shelves, since it was a day or two after xmas. Any ways, I digress...

I happened upon the As Seen on TV, Smooth Away Hair Removal Pads. I was intrigued about this technique of hair removal. You're supposed to be able to use a pad to rub away hair painlessly from your body. I was dubious but very curious how this product would do on my skin. I had to have it. Now, I went ahead and bought this product knowing full well it would probably not work. Most As Seen on TV products usually have a track record of being full on flops in my opinion, but I cannot help in being that person who buys the novelty products.

(Remember Epiladies? My dad brought one home one day because I begged for one. I was probably around 14 or 15 and heard about these new spangly thingies called epiladies and how they removed hair without having to shave?! Dude, that was like someone taking a rubber band and rubbing it fast up and down your hairy leg and having each hair pulled from its root. I ran that epilady up my leg one time, y'all. The tears in my eyes from the pain from my leg was all I needed. The epilady was a dang torture device.)

As soon as we got back to the house I used the small pad to buff away the light hair on my left hand. I buffed in a circular motion one way and then went the other way. Finally, I was noticing some of the hairs disappearing. It probably took me about 2 to 3 minutes to buff away a small area of hair on my skin. My skin looked ashy. It was like taking a file to your fingernails. Even the smell of my buffed skin smelled the same as fingernails do when you file them. It was bizarre. I must say, though, that the buffed area was silky smooth from the removal of hair. My skin burned a little but shoot I did just basically use sandpaper on it. I put lotion on it and it was fine.

Today was the first day I have used my Smooth Away pad again. Once again, I used the small pad (you get two pads: 1 small and 1 large) on my upper lip. I buffed away the peach fuzz there. My upper lip tingled some afterwards and then burned when I applied moisterizer to it. My skin is pretty sensitive, though, so it might not affect everyone the way it has with me.

Do I recommend this product?

I would recommend for facial hair removal. It was super easy if you have a bit of patience and also it was so worth it compared to using wax strips on my face. I hate wax strips on my face because that shit hurts!

Now supposedly you can use the large pad for your legs and even use the pads on your bikini area. I'm not going to venture in those two areas. I think the Smooth Away pads are ideal for fine hair. Even if I had fine hair on my legs (which I don't) I wouldn't have the patience to buff away the hair there. I think a good razor works for my legs and bikini area and I'm still too chicken to even think about wax on my nether regions. *shudder*

4 comments:

Mary T-Allen said...

My mom owned multiple epiladies. I guess after having 5 kids, your idea of pain sorta changes?

For upper lip hair, I use Nair upper lip stuff. It removes hair in three minutes, pain free. Then I just wipe it off with a piece of toilet paper and moisturize. It's very high tech. Thanks for the review; I, too, love as-seen-on-tv stuff, but I have had pretty good luck with it. The idea of the epilady makes me shudder though...

Anonymous said...

I own an epilator... I can take pain pretty well and yes, I do take the thing to my nethers. The rush is amazing and it keeps everything smooth for weeks.

Zay said...

belly, you are a masochist. haha. :)

KB said...

I begged for a sewing machine when I was that age ... what does this say about us?

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin